Manila residents led by Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (BAYAN) Manila launched ‘Hamon ng Manileño’, a campaign for 10 calls and demands that challenges the new city administration to stand with the people’s struggles.
Mayor Francisco ‘Isko’ Moreno Domagoso got 357,925 votes in the May 13 elections, a landslide victory over then-incumbent mayor and former Philippine president Joseph Estrada and former Manila mayor Alfredo Lim, and was inducted as the mayor in the country’s capital city on June 30. The residents of Manila are supporting the progressive views of the new mayor and are looking forward to his sincerity.
“Sinusuportahan po natin ang mga programa at positibong hakbang ng bagong upong administrasyon ni Mayor Isko Moreno”, said Ram Carlo Bautista of BAYAN Manila.
[We support the programs at the positive steps of the new administration of Mayor Isko Moreno.]
Moreno has been part of the peace talks as National Democratic Front (NDF) consultant in 2016 and 2017. He has always been open to the resumption of peace talks and the programs under the Comprehensive Agreement on Social and Economic Reforms (CASER).
The ‘Hamon ng Manileño’ include the following calls and demands:
- Stop and Review the Build, Build, Build Projects that threaten eviction in communities like the Connector and Railway projects, and the Reclamation of Manila Bay,
- End Endo by recognizing the vital role of workers that has necessary and desirable functions in the workplace and upholding their right to organize themselves in the form of unions such as Pier workers in Harbour Centre.
- Prohibit the privatization of public properties and services in the city like markets, hospitals, public parks, underpass, and the likes.
- Recognize the right of small vendors to earn a living and stop all forms of clearing operations and extortion.
- Requite delayed wages of public school teachers, non teaching personnel, and health workers.
- Stop the collection of high taxes.
- Stop Oplan Tokhang and other similar operations that violate human rights and prosecute the verdicts.
- Advance the call for catering environmental concerns and launch immediate actions and solutions.
- Promote patriotic, scientific, and mass-oriented form of education.
- Promote just and lasting peace by addressing the root of the conflict and the struggle of the masses.
“Sana hindi niya (Mayor Isko Moreno) kalimutan ang mga ito, sana iprayoridad niya dahil kagyat itong mga panawagan at pangangailangan ng mga Manileño”, Bautista added.
[We hope that (Mayor Isko Moreno) won’t forget all of these, we hope that he will put priority to these immediate campaigns and the needs of the Manileños.]
The groups also let off 10 doves as a symbol of peace and prosperity and to symbolize their 10 challenges to new city administration.